The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Monday, October 15, 2007

When they designed the Tennis Raquet, they did not account for the fact that someday I would use it as a fly swatter.

My Tennis Raquet

There I was sitting in my chair
Nothing in the world to care
Then out of the blue!
Shoo fly shoo!
I grabbed whatever I could use
Whatever that was near

-Gary Ruff 2007

Yeah, it's a stupid poem, but how it applies to governmnet should be heeded. We make laws all of the time for intended purposes. Then when an emergency comes along, a law can fit the solution but not be what it was constructed for.

Now, in that moment of emergency, I did not say to myself, "Hmmm, I can't use the tennis raquet because it was designed only to hit rocks and tennis balls.... well, i made up the rocks part."

The proper thing to do was to go get a fly swatter. But humans do not think like robots. And we make laws with good intention, but we are humans and we misuse our laws to fit our needs.

My solution to the problem is to clearly define what the laws intent is. That is to say, when Congress makes a law (a"Tennis Raquet"), they should define what it's exact purpose is.

But I don't think that would even stop me from swatting the fly with the tennis raquet. Human nature is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment