The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Monday, August 11, 2008

MOD music?

What is mod music?

Mod music, or modular music, is a concept where the listener can take out a part of the song, and replace the piece with one the exact same size.

It is used with a music sequencer, and enables the artist or listener to instantly, on demand, change the music!

Let's say you are walking past a bakery with your iPhone on. Your jamming out to the song, BUT instead of the lead singer saying he wishes he had a date for tonight, the song changes to say "I wish I had a donut for tonight."

OK OK, I am the comedian sometimes... Actually, that could be one of the applications. But most likely, a record company like Sony, would make available to you the listener, short loop samples, that are exactly the same length in music time as what the artist created. Whew!!!

That means, Madonna would be saying she loves Gary Ruff in one of her songs! (Because I would buy the "modular unit", replace it easily in the iMod exchanger or sequencer, and walla! Oh, maybe there is a sweet little song I like for my girlfriend... I look online for a "mod" (modular), and there again the record company has sold me a "part", new part to an old song... I just exchange it out (1 bar, 2 bars, or 4 bars... vocals, chorus, verses, instruments, you name it...)

There is more money to be made in music if the artists and record companies sell the parts of a song, rather than just 1 song. It works in the car industry the same way.

Let's say I don't like the way U2 say "Sunday Bloody Sunday!", so I can use the online sequencer to record my voice, which sounds very close to Bono, if not exact, and I say, "Sunday is Funday". I pay the online sequencer company a small fee to use their tools and FX, and walla! Another sale!

The music business is changing fast to on demand convenience. No longer can you pick up a guitar and expect to be a star. "You better knock off all that macho sh*t and learn to play sequenSAR" lol :) reference to John Mellencamp's "Play Guitar" song.

That 2 second ring tone, is now the whole song. Your teacher is named "Rama lama loop a daisy", and guess what? his name could be in a song... might not be such a good thing?

But "mods" are coming, and it will be a ton of fun!

Peace Out, Gary Ruff The Compusician

No comments:

Post a Comment