The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Music as I see it

Yes, as I “see” it. I am amazed at the talented bands that have not made it “big”. Some of the bands that I hear, are far more superior than any big time band that has made it to the top.

I guess the reality must be that there is already one U2, or a Panic at the Disco!, so why would there be a need for another one?

Well, that may be the reasoning which most makes sense, but my reality will tell you that one band had a mental picture of the success they were to have, while the other band did not use “mental pictures” as a path to their success.

Let me make it clear as to what that picture should be. Tiger Woods would tell you that he has a mental picture of how the ball will track, and what will happen along the way as he putts the ball. That is the right mental picture. No where in his picture is he visioning a Buick driving up, a man handing him millions of dollars, and marrying a beautiful model. His success brought him all of that. And his success was brought by the mental pictures he uses to make him a better player.

The same should be true in any successful adventure. Garner a mental picture of how you actually see things going in your music. Forget the fans, the models, the money, because that will never happen without your mental picture to music. Sure, you have bands you like to emulate, and that is a good mental picture. On the other hand, I would develop the picture to look similar to this for example: “I will hit this string, give it a bit of a Beck flair with a Clapton rhythm. I will try to hammer on this specific note to call it my own style.”

This is what I mean by “seeing” your music success. The actual playing, not the actual scenario at the club. Although, I will say it is a good idea to dream a bit, eh?

I myself actually DO see the music for I am a Computer Musician and I work with colors and diagrams on the computer screen all of the time. It has broadened my insight as to how music is produced and arranged. When I visualize something to take place in my song, sometimes what I see is different from what actually happens. And like the Tiger Woods example, when he hits the ball, I am sure it does not go in the cup every time (but I bet it did when he visualized it!).

And like Tiger, I will work on those things which will make me a better musician, not necessarily a musician that is like the rest. And that can be a good thing or bad thing for the world, but for me I'm okay with it. (Know any other bands with a cartoon fish named SicoFish in a virtual rock band named BL8ant?).

Peace Out, Gary Ruff, The Compusician

No comments:

Post a Comment