The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Power - Computer Musician



If you are a computer musician you will want to always have a source of power for your musical instrument (the computer).

On the road I bring with me a 500 watt Power Inverter. I plug one end into the cigarette lighter of my car (12 volt DC) and the laptop into the inverter (120 volt AC). I would think you could get by on less wattage than I use, but it is much MUCH better to have more power than you need.

Once you get the volume cranked up, the hard drives spinning and your music program testing the limits of your CPU, you'll be glad you had the extra power. A 1000 watt inverter would be great too.

Which, by the way, brings me to a dilemma that computer musicians will face in the future; power for their instrument. On this same day, I wrote an article that deals with "alternative energy". The reason for this was to get the word out to my fellow musicians that we often take for granted the one thing we need most: Electricity.

In years to come, our laptops will be powered by alcohol, rather than a battery. But if you have a full studio to power up, then it might be worth while to have a back up plan. Guitarists can always pick up an acoustic guitar. Drummers, and quite frankly all other musicians, seem to have the luxury of being able to make music with or without electricity. Computer Musicians must have electrical power, and some back up plan.

So, if your interested in more than just buying a power inverter and running off the motor of your car, then put your headphones down and see what we have cooked up for your power needs.

LINK: http://sundayisfunday.blogspot.com/2008/12/alternative-energy-freaks-i-am.html

Peace Out, Gary Ruff The Compusician

PS I do use a European power converter when I am overseas. They cost about 30 dollars at Wal-Mart. I use a 1500 watt DC to AC power inverter when I am DJ'ing and running a karaoke monitor (that's cutting it close). My article on "Alternative Energy" includes making power from SOUND. It is an interesting read!

No comments:

Post a Comment