The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Saturday, December 03, 2005

My Trip To Yalta

It took awhile to find an internet company so I can post to my blog. I have compiled here days 1 through 4, and it is day 5 that I make this post. I will try to post pictures when I get back to the USA (my laptop does not have Picasa).

If there was something I thought I would not need, but found out I do need is an Interpreter. In Odessa many people speak English. You could get by without an interpreter, maybe. But not in Yalta. I still have not found a person who is fluent in English (my interpreter I have is very good, but needs me to speak slow). Also, they call Tanya (my interpreter), my interpreter....imagine that! But she is a coordinator. Without her my stay here in Yalta would be a disaster. She was there to have driver pick me up at airport and bring me to Yalta (driver was nice man, but speaks no English...it became interesting when he needed to borrow money for gas and only needed 10 dollars. I only had 20 dollar bills, and he would not take it because he only needed 10...and he needed it to be Hryvnia (Grivna is the pronunciation and it is their currency. By the way, for 1 US Dollar you get 5 Grivna’s right now). Tatiana (Tanya) also had a key for my apartment and also helped me the next day to convert my cell phone so I can use in Yalta. This is much more than an interpreter. I suggest you hire one. She will be your lifeline.
Okay, let’s catch up....


DAY ONE
Day One of the trip I began my journey at DFW airport. There was a lot of planning before the trip making sure I called the banks and credit card companies to let them know I would be using my card in Yalta. I had to prepare the house and alert the neighbors. I did not stop mail service, but it might be a good idea. I let the alarm company know about my departure and arrival back dates.
It would be good to know a list of a few things you will need before leaving the trip. I found attractive ladies on the internet at www.HotRussianBrides.com. I worked with an American coordinator named Alena. Start here by writing down her number and e-mail. You might need it while on the trip. As a matter of fact write down some phone numbers to the banks customer service, relatives, neighbor etc. and keep one copy separate from your passport and wallet. Alena e-mailed me my Yalta Coordinator’s phone number so I would have something just in case (and as luck will be, my plane was about an hour late!)
When you are on the trip so much happens, you might even forget your own phone number when you need it most and the phones are not working the same way as in America.
I checked in 2 bags and had one carry on. The trip was to begin in Dallas, connect in Cincinatti, to New York City. If you have to switch airports, I find it best to pay about a hundred dollars to the taxi driver, but maybe the train works good now). When I checked my bags in, the ticketer assured me that the bags would arrive in Simferopol (the airport...an hours drive from Yalta). Know this fact: What is suppose to happen will not happen the same way in another country. My bags ended up in Simferopol because when I arrived in Kiev my airline friend, Angelica, told me we have to get our luggage and bring it to the plane ourselves and check in again. I just want to note that when the airplane lands in Kiev, we get out of Airplane and have to go to building for the passport. This transfer is done on a bus from the plane. You must go through passport control. Before we arrived, the airline attendant handed out a piece of paper that we must fill out explaining some details of our trip. Save this and get it stamped by the passport control officer. Don’t lose the half of piece of paper she gives you because it is necessary for you to have it when you try to come back home.
I will make a list at the end of my journey of good things to have, but for now I will continue with the story.
So I get on the airplane in Dallas. Everything is fine, but I am faced with sitting next to a man (nice guy, I forget his name) who is big just like me. It was very awkward and uncomfortable for the both of us, but then comes along a flight attendant who is flying to Cincinnati who is going to work. She offers to sit between us, which was great relief for both me and the retired street cop from Flint, Michigan (again, I forgot his name).
We get to Cincinnati and after I get off the plane I realize I am missing my tickets for the international part of the trip! It turns out they were still on the plane I just left! A ticket agent found them for me and I was back in business. I might as well add right here that Delta Air Lines was the best airlines for service!
Okay, so I take care of some small business, some food, and wait for flight to New York City. When I arrive in JFK airport I am awed by the size of this place. I suggest you play it safe and ask an agent where you need to be to find your next flight. Sometimes the time schedule is very tight (you could look up map of airports on internet before trip...this is good help, especially in Kiev).
When I get to the ticketing agent for Aerosvit Airlines, I ask lady how much it costs to upgrade to business class, because I want comfortable flight for 9 hours. First Class was full, but she put me in a seat where no one was next to me! I enjoyed two seats! Aerosvit gets a vote for best airline service too, (except the flight attendants seemed worn out and tired...but even then they were polite).
As luck would have it, and we all know I have good luck for some reason (good Guardian Angels!) I am placed across the isle to girl who is flying to Simferopol too. There are only 3 people (me plus two) who are going there and during our nine hour flight, I ask her maybe one question: "Is this map of Kiev airport correct"? I am glad I spoke up, as you will see. She acknowledge that the map was right, but a map can be confusing. Plus we were going to the same place and she would guide me because our plane was very late. There was another girl, Lora, who would be part of this adventure in the Kiev airport. We had to get through passport control, but the guy in front of us had problems with the control officer. We were panicking! Also, I asked if our luggage would transfer planes just like in the USA. Her answer was no! We had to wait for our bags too! So Angelica went to airport agent and told them about our demise. They held the plane until we arrived. We ran, ran, and ran. You have to go outside from one building to another to get to the check in before boarding the plane, AND we had to wait for bus to take us to the plane! By the way, this is a good time to mention that there are no overhead storage bins for your carry on when going to Simferopol Airport. Yes, the bags are checked in, but there is little room for your carry on luggage.
We get to Simferopol Airport and you have to wait for your luggage outside of the terminal. The conveyor belt is outside. I also note that the airport runway has pot holes. Not very good feeling when landing. Although, the pilot did good job.
I will conclude this as "Day One" but it is worth noting that there is a 7 hour time difference from New York City. Put on your list, a watch.


DAY TWO

As I write this story I just now go get beer to relax. Bring a bottle opener. Yes, add that to list. I can’t read Russian but my cap says (on the inside) I won 100,000 Grivnia’s. I will check this out tomorrow with Tanya or Irina. I could always use another Grivna. When you go to the ATM the machine asks you if you want Grivna’s US Dollars, or Euro dollars. Since the machine only has Grivnas, the other choices will lead to the machine handing your card back. Business’s here do take Visa, Mastercard, some tak American Express, but you better get some Grivna’s ASAP when you get into town. I recommend you bring 20 dollar bills in good clean crisp condition, or the local bank will not take it. I brought $1000 cash, and placed the money in different areas (two pockets, suit cases etc...). There are plenty of places other than the bank to exchange your currency. MANY places. They love money, your money. And feel confident that most are honest people here. The taxi drivers do seem to take advantage of the situation, but when you convert in your head the amount of money you are losing, you probably won’t care and you will be glad that you went to your destination safely.
Okay, So..... I am at the airport in Simferopol. I am greeted by many men, some drunk, who wants to give me a taxi ride. But I spot my driver holding a sign with my name on it. (By the way, do you notice how I am starting to talk like a Russian person (Ukrainian) trying to speak English?
The ride to Yalta was interesting. My driver was not crazy, and carefully passed may busses and cars. Other cars that passed us did not do a very safe job. I was concerned a bit by the way other people drove. You might luck out and get good driver too. My driver also stopped me from putting my seat belt on. I do not know why, but I decided not to wear it. He spoke no English, and I was so tired from the trip.
On the way to Yalta I noticed some very beautiful lights, as it was nighttime about 6 pm. I made the comment that Yalta looks like Pittsburgh. Odessa looks like New Orleans, but Yalta looks like Pittsburgh. Well, little did I know that Yalta does not look like Pittsburgh when it is daytime! I just noticed the street cars, skinny roads, mountains and many lights.
Finally we arrive in Yalta and I open my luggage to give driver gift. In this part of the world it is better to give small gifts at beginning of meeting rather than after (example, when us Americans stay at hotel, we might give good small gift at end of the stay. No good. Give it early, and in some cases it is better to give a gift not money). So, add that to your list of things to bring for the people you will eventually meet. Bring small gifts. I gave him a bottle of tequila from Mexico because he would not accept a cash tip (rare, but some people are insulted by a cash tip when it is not necessary).
This is when I learned about another thing when you travel. My other bottle of tequila broke in the suitcase, maybe from the pressure of the altitude, or maybe the baggage handler! All I know is that I had a date with Elnara at 8pm, and I smelled like Tequila! I learned that when you spray Polo cologne over the tequila smell, it makes a very good and interesting combination. My coordinator Tanya also received her small gift of Belgium Chocolates. I made sure I brought many small gifts for people I never imagined of meeting. So, did you put this on your list? Bring small gifts. No breakable items.
I did meet Elya. She was very beautiful, tall and she was every man’s dream. We did get along alright, but she was apprehensive towards me, and when I tried to move close to her, she slightly moved away. Maybe it was my cologne? I did convince Elya to give me an autograph, because she too is of high model quality (she does not want to be a model). We did find a great "autograph symbol" for her. "LA" where the "L" is intersecting half of an "N" (which is an "L" in her language)......confused? Okay, we designed her autograph together and she autographed my napkin. Sometimes the simplest things in life are the most fun. After all, I just got something from her that no other man has ever gotten! Her new autograph!
Well, I just opened my second beer and I have just won another 100,000 dollars! I’m am going to guess that I cannot read Russian very good and I have won nothing.
Elya and I were suppose to meet Friday or Saturday, but I can only meet one girl for Saturday (I do not think I can take 2 or 3 girls out on date (the same date) and expect one of them to marry me...I realize that they do some things different in this part of the world, but they also do some things the same).
I would have jumped at the chance to even have a look into her beautiful eyes just one more time, that is until I met Polina the next day! Wait until you hear this! Talk about luck!!!!


DAY THREE
I had originally set up my meeting with Polina as a back up plan. Back up plans are good. When I planned to arrive in Yalta, I did not know how good this tour company would be. I decided to book hotel on my own, over the internet (Select - a Room ......www.selectukraine.com ). Since it was a backup plan, I did not reserve good hotel. As it turned out, I did find my way to my apartment and did not need a hotel room. I say this advice: If you choose to get apartment, then have a tour guide and maybe you will want to reserve a hotel for backup plan. If you choose to have no interpreter, get hotel room. The girls will not like to go to hotel, and will not like to be there . So you make decision. The hotel I picked just so happened to be the place where many hookers go. So, if you want this kind of a trip, then book a nice room at the Hotel Yalta, Inn Tourist. Don’t expect to find a wife. (And of course this is my biased opinion. Maybe your results would be different).
I had hoped that when I met Polina we could spend a little time together and find a connection. I did feel small spark in our brief meeting, and it was brief, but for a good reason. Polina had to catch the train to Kiev this same day because she was accepted into the beauty contest. Which beauty contest? Miss Universe. I about fell over. She did not have to say one more word to me for the hour we met. I was in shock. And if you think you would not be in shock, you are lying to yourself. When you meet this girl, you notice she has much more than good looks. She has a way of making you feel comfortable with her smile and charm. Also, it is easy to understand her and feel her excitement. Let’s face it though. She is 20 years old, and I am 40 years old. She wants to wait for marriage 2 years, and pursue modeling and acting for a few more years before having children. She is a teacher, student and loves kids. She showed me pictures about her life at lunch, and she has credentials with many prolific actors and singers in her country. She did autograph my video that featured her in the presentation. She also did something for me that no other girl has ever done; she gave me the Russian style kiss and hug. You know, you kiss on one side and then the other.
This girl has her whole life in front of her, and I see big promise for her future. She seems to make great decisions. As an experienced man, I see that I would be stealing her youth from her if I were to try to marry her. But come on! Miss Universe? What man could ever turn that down? So I will wait and let life choose. I suspect with her great mind, she already knows that 20 years is too much difference. Plus, she will always be traveling and pursuing her dream for the next few years.


DAY FOUR
I slept a lot. My body and mind finally started to adjust to the time differences and the sea air. To the one side there are the snow capped mountains, and to the other side there is the Sea, the "Black Sea".
I went shopping on my own in the morning hours. Darkness comes fast in this part of the world, at this time of year (maybe 4:30 pm). Shopping was an adventure, but with my translator machine (Vocal 207) I was able to buy everything I needed. The food here is different than in America. And I do not see a Wal-Mart. There is a McDonald’s though. I will try the food tomorrow. I could use a good cup of American coffee.
The shops I went to were of the flea market style. It appears to me that the streets and shops are like the downtown areas in the USA, except the flea market is huge and would not be seen in American cities like this. I bought a radio, watch, beer, vodka, groceries. The Vodka is nasty. I thought the Vodka from this part of the world would taste good. I took one sip and knew that this would lead to a hangover. And so I did not drink it. This will make good gift for someone else!
Since it would be unwise to bring it in the suitcase again, I will award this prized bottle (the unopened one) to someone else.
Tanya arranged with me to meet a new girl named Irina or Ira for short. She is very attractive blonde girl with a good chest on her shoulders (I mean head). I’m sorry. I could not help but notice this, but she wore a shirt that was difficult to read, but it might have been a trick too. Maybe she wants me to stare there? She did not have to wear shirt with words difficult to read! Her best attribute is her friendly smile. There is one huge problem with this girl, I will tell you all right now. She does not speak English! At first this might seem like a good thing and fun thing to try, but it becomes very frustrating to speak about the simplest things. And I can tell you this, your frustrating look will not be a welcome look to a beautiful women. Meet girls that speak English. But I am to meet Irina tomorrow, at 2pm at McDonald’s. I will try my best to make this successful. I did make joke that maybe we will be able to speak the language of love. She did think that was funny, too.
We are suppose to go to castle.
Now.....since I have time (it is almost midnight and my sleeping pattern is off) I will continue composing a song about this beautiful wonderland called Yalta. Yalta is the city of Love. You come here and you will see amazing sights. Some people make advice to travelers to not drink the water, or maybe bring some anti-diarrheal tablets. In Yalta, I have not found any problems that require to taking these tablets, but in Odessa I recommend it. Add that to your list of things to pack with your shaving kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment