The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Monday, September 25, 2006

Back to the music

Okay. We are writing a slow song called "Princess". We have discussed how I find inspiration, watching a show, watching people. In my notebook, inside the front cover I have listed the 5 senses, EMOTIONS, who, what, why, when, where, how, and "The Journey where I'm at to where I'll be is just as important as the destination".

Maybe you have watched a show and started writing in your book? The key is to write, write, write. Anything that comes to your mind, write it down. Some people go as far as to bring a small recorder and record their thoughts over the day. I used to do this. It is a very good idea (especially when a musical melody or rythm comes from no where).

Write, write, write. You can ryhme, or not. You can mispell, or not. Just write. It all comes together later.

In the back of your book write these 3 things. Write them at the top. FACT (skip a space) EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE AROUND FACT (skip a space) BENEFIT.

This is the best advice I ever got about writing, but maybe I seldom use. When your writing seems to go nowhere, you have these 3 basic principles. Let's try it:

FACT: The sky is blue today.

EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE AROUND FACT: It makes me feel relaxed, fresh and excited to meet today's challenges.

BENEFIT: People like me better when I'm relaxed, so it spreads sunshine.

From this we will write more. Having trouble? Go to the front of the book and start with the 5 senses.

The air smells clean
The bluest of blue skies
The warmth of the sun.
I can almost taste nature from the smell of the pines.
The birds sing their song as if nothings ever wrong.

And you can develop more from this as you consider the rest of the information in the front of the book. Yes, it does not make for a good poem or story AT THIS POINT. And, even if we crafted a masterpiece of a short story, we are likely to change and distort it when the music meets the words.

That is why I did not finishe the process. I already feel like I have enough to work with. I can get started writing. I'll watch a movie and consider the words I have written so far. Don't try to complete anything. Keep your mindset as "Open". New information and inspiration will arrive hourly, daily, weekly. Just write it down. (I do carry a small pocket notebook for "To Do's" and it is filled with ideas, names of new songs, etc..)

That is it for this week. Write about everything you can. You will use it, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment