The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Thursday, November 27, 2008


My biggest roadblock to making music is ME...

Every time I am out and about and see a new piece of equipment I can use, I buy it and it sits sometimes for years still new in the box. When I am working on a song, it seems that a TV show comes on, an interesting blog comes up, a friend or a relative calls, or just the escape of inspiration to get up off the couch to do anything.

This happens for me because I am thinking about this song, that song, this trick, that nuance, this promise, that deadline, and it keeps snow balling until I become overwhelmed to the point where I am “Log Jammed”; my need to do nothing more until I can break free from all of the distractions called life. And as a human, I blame everything BUT myself for my lack of completeness (finishing the song).

I have a list, maybe 2 lists, maybe a thousand lists of things and rules that will help me through. I think they are “To Do” lists for the next time I get stuck. But I never can remember where I put them all, and what I was talking about when I wrote the list in the first place. And as frustrating as this has become in my music making, I don't even want to imagine having to tour and perform live every night, or produce some one else's song, leaving no hope for my love, the art of producing my very own music. So, I salute to those of you chained to a record deal or performance contracts. I know the artist inside of you is hurting even worse (but the money sure is good, eh?).

So, I made two rules to be placed ahead of my list of music production steps (my steps will be different from yours, so I won't bore you with them).

Rule 1: Make one table, desk, stand, or clipboard that is always completely clear with no lists or junk on it. Make sure that there is only blank paper at this location. When I am done, I'll take the paper away. No clutter at this point of the process. It is the place of the “blank canvas”.

Rule 2: Go to the computer, turn it on. As I need things, I will put them in to my songs.

With so much to do and so many loops, samples, computer files, and junk laying around in the studio, in the computer, and in my head coupled with my lack of where to begin or end, I just need to remember I can clear everything from my head, burn a disk to save my files, clear out the computer, and start fresh BECAUSE... As I need things, I will put them in to my songs.

Peace Out, Gary Ruff

3 comments:

  1. Who is this Elnara from Yalta? Where did you find her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Elnara about a year ago, and about a year or so before that. She is very nice, warm sweet girl. I also sing about a person named Elnara as a fictional character in one of my songs (not her). I imagine if you Google; Elnara Love Dating Yalta Ukraine ... that will help you find her. I have lost contact with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elya is short for Elnara too. Hope that helps you on your journey! Peace Out, Gary

    ReplyDelete