The Band BL8ant Featuring EinStud the Compusician


ComScore

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sequencetruments



A lot of artists are using what I call "Sequencer Instruments", or "Sequencetruments". A music loop artist uses his sequencer as a canvas. He or she gets a sound, puts it in say, mmmm track 5. Then he pitches it down in steps in tracks 1-4. In tracks 6-11 he pitches it up. The cool thing is that the artist can pitch it up by as little as one tenth (1/10th!) of a semitone! And a new scale is born.

I like the sequencetrument because I can take a Pink Floyd Guitar sound sample, place it in the sequencer like I described above, make my own scale, and then pitch bend, warp, stutter, do guitar tricks, etc and push out a sample that is perfect in harmonics and balanced down to a 32nd note! Technically, you could create the sound to be a 1/1000th note, but I assume you would not hear it since it passes so fast!

Lastly, this is a neat and organized way to drop in an mp3 of a song you made, or another artist... I drop it in track 13, and my sequencetrument occupies tracks 1-11 (12 is empty). When I have my "Riff" ready I bounce it back out and mute the track 13.

So I am clear as to what I do, if you care... I'll cut a sample that equals a quarter note, use the pitch of the sample in let's say track 7. I might then use a sample in track 8, half note, and apply a "wah" effect. Then in the sequencer I might use a quarter note sample, pith bended down of track 9.

I use my mixer, equalizer, and FX to make my riff sound just right. Then I use the auto master (I like to Peak Limit, maybe too much) and I have created a riff or a sample.

The possibilities are endless, and you can get effects like Little Wayne does. Whatever sound sample you put in the sequencer can be pitched and altered in an organized manner to "play" it like an instrument. And it is time consuming to build one, but fun as hell if you're into music.

I see vocals going this way in the future. Something will break soon.

Peace Out, Gary Ruff The Compusician

No comments:

Post a Comment